Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Patrick McDonnell's Graduation Ceremony Speech at CCS


One of the best things I've read this year.

Here's the text of Patrick McDonnell's speech to the Center for Cartoon Studies 2007 graduating class.

Some of my earliest memories are looking at my Mom's paperback collections of Pogo and Jules Feiffer. I was too young to read, but I was mesmerized by the pen and ink lines that were so alive on the page. I also remember my folks having a huge, definitive book on the art of Leonardo Da Vinci which I also enjoyed perusing.

Believe me, Leonardo was absolutely amazing.

But he was no Walt Kelly.

More here.

Big hat tip to Comics Reporter!

Photo from Mr. McDonnell's Web site. You can also see a series of MUTTS strips commemorating the commencement here.

No comments: