Monday, October 29, 2007

Paul Giambarba

Photo: Mike Lynch, Paul Giambarba

Had the pleasure of a (all too short) visit from illustrator, caricaturist, designer, cartoonist and bon vivant Paul Giambarba, who was vacationing in the White Mountains, near where we live. He graciously got in his car and battled touristy traffic to get out of the Ossippee area just to chat with me.

Paul's a guy who's done the Wednesday Cartoon Rounds (more about that tradition in general here), worked as a designer (he created the well-known Polaroid look as detailed here), drawn childrens books, is a wonderful photographer and has more talent than allowed by law.

I love Paul's use of color, particularly his watercolors. He uses such a warm, natural palate. Anyway, we chatted, as I said, for too short a time and I appreciate his inviting me to his Massachusetts studio for some more shop talk and bay scallops ala Giambarba some time in the near future!

If you want to read more, check out my pal Rod McKie's interview with Paul here.


Above: a page from Paul's sketchbook from a 1955 trip to Europe.

1 comment:

Brian Fies said...

Lucky you! Paul visited my town and bought me lunch once, so lucky me, too (http://momscancer.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-lunch-with-paul.html).

He's one of those unsung giants who seems to know everyone and everything, and I love his sketches of Europe in the '50s. Paul's the best.