If you know cartoons then you know David Paccia's "David Wasting Paper" blog site. David has been interviewing cartoonists for years and you can spend a lot of time at the site soaking up the interviews and photos there.
In the spring of this year there was a tragic, personal event: David's Mom died. To remember her life, David has introduced the "David Wasting Paper 2013 Young Cartoonist Contest."
This contest was established in 2012 to honor the memory of my mother, Patricia Petrone, who passed away suddenly in May. My mother had a sincere appreciation for artistic talent…even the novice talents of her son…and would be very pleased that her memory lives on through this inspiring event.
All of the guidelines are here. David sought advice in forming the competition from cartoonists across the country: syndicated cartoonists, National Cartoonists Society members, New Yorker cartoonists and others.
Highlighting the submission eligibility:
Open to artists between the ages of 13 and 16 years old.
January 31, 2013
1) Comic essay: A two to four page comic story, starring yourself, that explains why you would like to pursue a career in cartooning or animation. Comic must be original and legible.
2) 3 additional work examples: May include character designs/studies, comic strips or single panel cartoons.
3) Brief biography: A short, one paragraph biography of the applicant.
4) Consent to participate: All applicants must have parental/guardian consent to participate. Submissions must include a note from parent/guardian 1) confirming participant’s date of birth, 2) certifying that entry is the original and unassisted artwork of the participant and 3) providing their consent for the child to participate in the contest. This note must be signed and include the parent/guardian’s address and phone number. Winner’s parent/guardian will be notified by phone and prizes will be shipped to address provided.
- A subscription to Stay Tooned! Magazine subscription generously provided by the publisher of the magazine, John Read.
- The Mad Art of Caricature!: A Serious Guide to Drawing Funny Faces by Tom Richmond (Paperback) generously donated by author and president of the National Cartoonists Society, Tom Richmond.
- Art supplies including pens, mechanical pencil and storage, generously donated by Jetpens.com
- Sketchbooks generously donated by Karen Doherty at Exaclair Inc. (6 Exacompta sketchbooks which contain heavyweight 100 gr. cream-colored paper made by the Schut Paper Mill in the Netherlands which was founded all the way back in 1617.
- Bristol paper pads generously donated by Strathmore Artists Papers - 3 pads: WindPower Bristol Smooth, 11x14 7 pads: WindPower Bristol Smooth, 9x12 5 pads 300 Series Bristol Smooth 9x12 5 pads 300 Series Sequential Art, Bristol Vellum, 12x12 7 pads 300 Series Bristol Smooth 11x14.
- Cartooning the Head and Figure by Jack Hamm (Paperback)
- Big Book of Cartooning by Bruce Blitz (Paperback)
- Drawing in 3-D by Mark Kistler (Paperback)
- How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way by Stan Lee (Paperback)
- Comics and Sequential Art: Principles and Practices from the Legendary Cartoonist (Will Eisner Instructional Books) by Will Eisner (Paperback)
- Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels by Scott McCloud (Paperback)
- Drawing Words and Writing Pictures: Making Comics: Manga, Graphic Novels, and Beyond by Jessica Abel (Paperback)
- Cartoon Animation (The Collector's Series) by Preston Blair (Paperback)
- Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures by Walt Stanchfield (Paperback)
- Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 2: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures by Walt Stanchfield (Paperback)
- The Simpsons Handbook: Secret Tips from the Pros by Matt Groening (Hardcover)
- Character Mentor: Learn by Example to Use Expressions, Poses, and Staging to Bring Your Characters to Life by Tom Bancroft (Paperback)
- Wacom Bamboo Splash Pen Tablet – includes Autodesk Sketchbook Express and ArtRage software.
In the event any of the books listed are no longer available, David Wasting Paper reserves the right to substitute titles. Total value of prizes to be awarded is over $600.
MAIL SUBMISSIONS TO:
David Wasting Paper, c/o David Paccia, PO Box 579, Raynham CTR, MA 02768
SEND ANY QUESTIONS TO: David Paccia c/o email@example.com