Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Mike Lynch Wins 2014 Jack Davis Award



Last year, I was asked to give the keynote address to the Southeast National Cartoonists Society chapter get together. But something went wrong.

The chapter has a yearly meeting, and they do it up right, with meals and speeches and panels and displays. Members drive for miles.

But, last year, I had to suddenly cancel due to a family event. I really felt bad, but, you know, family is family.  So they had their SENCS 2013 get together without me.

So, they asked again and I told them I would come this year. And I did come out to Athens, GA, where they were meeting.

I flew out, rented a car, figured out how to get to the University of Georgia. No surprises.

But there was one big surprise. James "Doodle" Lyle, at the official meeting on Saturday morning, handed me this in front of the members. It's the Jack Davis Award 2014 Cartoonist of the Year plaque.  Jack is, as you know, one of the premiere MAD Magazine illustrators. He's also a Georgia native.

I was agog. I think "agog" was the right word. I was totally surprised. Stunned. Mouth hanging open. I think I said "thank you" and "wow" a couple of times. Maybe a couple of Ralph Kramden "humminah humminah humminahs" came out.

I'm honored to receive this.

Knock me over with a feather!

So, thank you to the SENCS Chair James "Doodle" Lyle, John "Shep" Sheppard, Tim "Mr. Ollie" Oliphant, John Lotshaw and all of the other fine members.  I am still blushing over your honor.

Thank you very much.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations"! Thanks for,coming. I'm sorry I couldn't be there- Rich

John R. Platt said...

Congrats, Mike!!!

Brian Fies said...

Time to raise your rates! Congratulations, pal!

Unknown said...

Super! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Congrats Mike

vwstieber said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful surprise.

BarryCorbett said...

Great News! You deserve it Mike!