Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Who Drew This?



I saw this large framed cartoon in a Maine antique store. I asked the owner about it. She said she got it "from a picker out west."

The style is confident and loose. Looks like the work of an old pro.

The text at the bottom left:

"I'm not marching"
meets
"the Okie from Muskogee"

On the right hand side you can see a signature and the call letters for KQED, the San Francisco educational TV channel.

The cartooning looks like it may be in the 1960s ad house style. I cannot make out the signature. Banin? Bania?

Any guesses?


Open these images in a new window for very large pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it's Bob Bastian. He drew cartoons live on KQED's "Newsroom." More info here: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf587006ss/. I'll email you an article about the show.

Now please help me get work as a researcher!

Larry Rippee and Molly Rea said...

I second that. It looks like one of the drawings Bob Bastian did while on KQED after the SF newspaper strike of the late 1960's

Bastian previously had been the editorial cartoonist for the SF Chronicle (and even earlier, he worked Crusader Rabbit cartoon series for Jay Ward). A very talented guy who unfortunately ended his life in the early 70's.

Larry

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks so much you guys. This is amazing information and I appreciate you dropping by and taking the time to add some information here!