Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Charlie Hebdo Plaque Misspells Jewish Cartoonist’s Name


(A photo taken on January 5, 2016 shows a memorial plaque bearing the names of the victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack on January 7, 2015. The misspelled name is Georges Wolinski's, at the bottom. (AFP / JOEL SAGET))




The Times of Israel reports that after French President Francois Hollande unveiled a plaque commemorating the eleven dead from the Charlie Hebdo attack on January 7, 2015, the widow of Georges Wolinski had to point out that they misspelled her husband's name

“This morning, when I saw the ‘Y,’ I can tell you I was furious,” Maryse Wolinski told French television. 
She said she pointed it out straight away to Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, who had unveiled the plaque alongside the president, and was assured that the mistake would be quickly corrected. 
Asked what her cartoonist husband would have thought of the typo, Wolinski suggested it was no joking matter. 
“He didn’t like it at all when (his name was spelled with a ‘Y’) — that I can tell you. And as for me… frankly I’m hard pressed to see the humor in it because I am too angry.” 
The error has been fixed temporarily, and a proper replacement plaque is expected in two days.

No comments: