Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Dick Buchanan: Some Favorite Magazine Gag Cartoons 1940-60s

Dick Buchanan was kind enough to pass along some favorite old magazine gag cartoons. I agree with Dick that these cartoons, most of them unseen for over fifty years, deserve an encore. Here's Dick:

"As an aspiring cartoonist long ago, I kept a file of cartoons clipped from every magazine I could find. I still have I still use it for reference and amusement. I am happy to share it's contents. I have forwarded a few samples. There are more."

Gahan Wilson, one of his early cartoons from Collier's, June 24, 1955:




George Booth, The Saturday Evening Post, October 17, 1953:




John Gallagher:




Hank Ketcham in an early 1950's Saturday Evening Post:





Clyde Lamb, American Legion Magazine, October 1952:





Mel Lazarus (not "Mell" yet), in the Saturday Evening Post, January 20, 1951 -- still 6 years away from Miss Peach:





Virgil Partch, Collier's, 1940s:




Rowland Wilson, in that same Saturday Evening Post issue (October 17, 1953) as George Booth (see above):




Henry Syverson. In 1963, even the furniture was funny. From Look Magazine, December 3, 1963:




Jack Tippitt, Look Magazine, July 22, 1958. Two-time NCS Gag Cartoonist of the Year (1963 & 1966):


Thanks, Dick, for sharing these great gag cartoons!

No comments: