Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Rina Piccolo: "Farewell, Six Chix"




After a sixteen year run on King Features SIX CHIX newspaper comic strip, cartoonist Rina Piccolo is leaving. 


Here's Rina from her blog. Her last SIX CHIX is tomorrow, September 28, 2016:


Saying goodbye to a feature is weird. (It’s not as though I’m going anywhere. You can still see me in the funny papers withTina’s Groove!) Yet I feel the need to say something pivotal about my resignation because Six Chix has been an impactful, important part of my life. It’s the feature that taught me the ropes in this funny business of syndicated comics. It’s the place where I refined my abilities in writing and drawing – allowing me to develop the sorts of skills that would later open doors. Six Chix is where I met Jay Kennedy, its creator. Jay Kennedy was my first syndicate editor, and the guy responsible for making Tina’s Groove happen. He was a wonderful man. It was through Jay that I met my now ex-husband, Brendan Burford. Another great King Features editor, and wonderful man. It was because of Jay and Brendan, and all my friends at King Features, and Torstar Syndicate, that my career meshed intimately with my personal life (I’ve long since stopped trying to disentangle the two).
... For me, this transition away from SIX CHIX feels like the end of a chapter in my life, and the beginning of a thrilling new one. Funny, that’s how I had felt, so many years ago, at its launch.

More at Rina's blog.


SIX CHIX is a comic strip that rotates between six female cartoonists, with each taking a weekday and rotating Sunday strips. Rina has the background:



The cartoonists, in order of weekday appearance are: Isabella Bannerman, Margaret Shulock, Susan Camilleri-Konar (former Wednesday spot Rina Piccolo), Anne Gibbons, Benita Epstein, and Stephanie Piro. It is syndicated worldwide by King Features Syndicate. You can see Six Chix cartoons HERE.

Rina is a friend and I think she is one of the most talented cartoonists working today. It must have been hard to make this decision, but taking risks is all part of living. Wishing Rina much success and sending her all my best wishes.

No comments: