Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Dick Buchanan: Some Favorite Magazine Gag Cartoons 1940-60s

There's a saying around here that most people are crazy. There's good crazy and bad crazy. And the nice thing is that most people I know are the good kinda crazy. Case in point is my friend Dick Buchanan, who has amassed an XXXL clip file of golden age gag cartoons. Not only that, but he shares them with the world. Thank you, you lovely, crazy Dick Buchanan, for diving into your files in your Greenwich Village apartment so many times and coming up with these pretty-much-unseen-since-publication single panel cartoons. These are, as you will see, crazy good.

Here's the first time I showcased some of Dick's collection, three years ago now:

----

Dick Buchanan was kind enough to pass along some favorite old magazine gag cartoons. I agree with Dick that these cartoons, most of them unseen for over fifty years, deserve an encore. Here's Dick:

"As an aspiring cartoonist long ago, I kept a file of cartoons clipped from every magazine I could find. I still have I still use it for reference and amusement. I am happy to share it's contents. I have forwarded a few samples. There are more."

Gahan Wilson, one of his early cartoons from Collier's, June 24, 1955:




George Booth, The Saturday Evening Post, October 17, 1953:




John Gallagher:




Hank Ketcham in an early 1950's Saturday Evening Post:





Clyde Lamb, American Legion Magazine, October 1952:





Mel Lazarus (not "Mell" yet), in the Saturday Evening Post, January 20, 1951 -- still 6 years away from Miss Peach:





Virgil Partch, Collier's, 1940s:




Rowland Wilson, in that same Saturday Evening Post issue (October 17, 1953) as George Booth (see above):




Henry Syverson. In 1963, even the furniture was funny. From Look Magazine, December 3, 1963:




Jack Tippitt, Look Magazine, July 22, 1958. Two-time NCS Gag Cartoonist of the Year (1963 & 1966):


Thanks, Dick, for sharing these great gag cartoons!

No comments: