Monday, June 03, 2024

The Garden As of Early June 2024

 

This is the raised bed garden as of June 1st. As you can see, nothing to see here. The winter rye has been cut down and the soil turned. 

Some repairs are needed. 



The winter rye, once turned back into the soil, adds nutrients. 

 

I love lupins, but only one of the plants came back this year. They are all over the place in New England and Canada. They're practically a weed, blooming in fields all over the place, but I sure can't grow 'em in my darn garden. 


I planted carrots a couple of years ago and they have gone rogue, spouting up in other boxes and in the lawn.

 

Just a some branches from the birch that was taken down due to the ice storm a couple of months ago.


The hostos is growing an inch or two a day.









I decided it’ll be mostly zinnias in the raised beds. I’ll grow tomatoes and cucumbers on the side porch. I’m doing this so I don’t have to build a tall fence around the raised bed garden to ward off deer. For years, there were no deer here on the ridge. They were lazy and stayed down in the valley. But, now, no more they're not. Now there are many and they are hungry. I grew a raised bed of zinnias last year and they didn't eat it. Hopefully, they won’t figure out how to get up the porch steps to eat the produce. Sad thing is that there won't be as big a harvest.

No comments: