Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Part 2: 1935 HENRY Comic Strips by Carl Anderson

 

Here's the second part of the Henry newspaper comic strip scans. The first one is here. I thought I had one or two more weeks' worth, but noooo. I have a lot more. I bought them off of eBay some years back. I had no idea I had so many.

These strips below are from the last of the month of January 1935. The strip had only just begun the month before, on December 17, 1934. Actually, it had started before that as a weekly feature in the Saturday Evening Post. Within two years after its magazine debut, William Randoph Hearst saw it and signed its creator, Carl Anderson, to a King Features syndicate contract.

Carl had reached the peak of cartooning: a syndication contract. He was, at that time, at the age of seventy. He would continue the feature, which appeared seven days a week beginning in March 1935, for its first eight years, before handing it off to two assistants. 

Caveat: These have not aged well and there is by today's standards some offensive racist imagery. It's offered as a piece of history.








No comments: