Monday, December 20, 2021

The First History of Comics Class at the Institute of Art and Design at New England College

Anniversary time!

Wow! It was two years as of yesterday since the last day of the Fall 2019 History of Comics class at the Institute of Art and Design at New England College. This was a great course to create and teach -- and I'm very fortunate to have been asked back regularly to teach this again.

Here are a few pics from this that last class of 2019! The first group of students that I got to teach. Way back. Before COVID! Sob! I got help from one of the students in getting a selfie. (Thank you, Rose!)

There are a couple of “happy” pics, and then I asked them to act like choosing to be a cartoonist was a big, shameful mistake. They hammed it up nicely, as you can see.

It was a grand time and there are wonderful memories. Really, my one fear would be that I wouldn't like the students. That was unfounded. These are some great kids. Lotsa talent, lotsa heart.

My thanks to Karen Hillson, Ph.D., Director, Liberal Arts Education, for hiring me (and continuing to for this and other classes like the History of Political Cartoons and the History of Illustration). And a big thank you to Jim Salicrup and Brian Fies for speaking to the class; as well as Karen Green for providing support in writing the syllabus. And an even bigger thanks to John Klossner for recommending I teach the class in the first place.

Happy pics:




The "Uh oh, I am making a big mistake with my life" photo:


They know more about aiming a camera for a selfie than I ever will.


Thank you, Rose. 

1 comment:

BobbyG said...

Nice!