Monday, April 09, 2007

Mike Lynch Cartoon in April 2007 Harvard Business Review


Blogging may get you into trouble. Nothing is secret on the Web. As if no one knows that!

I have a cartoon in the April 2007 HBR (above).

Over the weekend, I watched a guy on C-Span talking about privacy and e-mail. You just don't have privacy on the Web. Well, big duh!

STAR TREK: NEXT GEN's Marina Sirtis was unhappy that her "private" comments appeared on the Web. She thought she was giving a chat on her own little fan site Web chat board. Ms. Sirtis, who played a kind and peaceful 24th century starship counselor, says felt "betrayed" when she found out that the negative comments she made about Paramount and J.J. Abrams and Shatner appeared on an easily available transcript on the Web:

"I have always thought that the chats I have with my fans are private to us and I never imagined that anyone would then take any information I divulged and post it on another site. What I tell you guys is for us only. My feelings on certain topics such as Shatner were never intended to be made public. To be honest I feel utterly betrayed."

(Source: Trekmovie.)

I feel bad for her. She was naive.

As for the cartoon, I got the idea for it before I read about the Sirtis incident.

(Above left: Sirtis as counselor Troi from a 1991 TNG episode realizes she's in command of the Enterprise.)

Hey, as long as we're at it, let's look at a few other blogging cartoons that I've done. I figure blogging is probably on its way out as a cartoon idea. It's day is done. I retired my feng shui cartoons last year. And, like jokes about Dolly Parton's breasts, the sunset clause should be activated on this topic as well.

So, before it's too late, here's a batch of them and a few comments.

Above, obligatory desert island cartoon. Status: unsold.

Above, a cartoon that was held by the National Lampoon cartoon book people (but not sold due to a contract dispute). It originally appeared in the UK magazine Prospect.


Above, a silly cartoon that was held and then returned by Playboy. Status: unsold.


Above, people are getting fired via email. This cartoon was in the sister publication to Adweek, a magazine titled Brandweek.

Above, I was thinking of Bob Newhart's "Retirement Party" routine. Sold to an online business site.

Above, from Prospect magazine. Now, this is what it's all about! I like that wonky purple couch.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

Nothing is private on the Internet. Also: the Internet is permanent.

I've been enjoying your cartoons.

Brian Fies said...

I sense...great sadness...from Marina Sirtis. Loneliness...and...sorrow.

I think the fact that the word "blog" simply sounds funny should be good for another year's worth of gags at least. "Blog blog blog blog." If you draw a cartoon with that caption, I get 50%.

Mark Anderson said...

Goodness, those are all great, Mikey!

Damn your brain!

Also, Sirtis may be naive, but... GROooowwWWWLLLL!!!