Monday, May 07, 2007

Newsday's Comic Strip Article Full of Mistakes


There was a very big section in Newsday newspaper about the comics.

This is a nice sentiment, and there's a lovely write up about my friends Bunny Hoest and John Reiner and their King Features' strip THE LOCKHORNS.

And then it goes bad.

Bill McTiernan writes about old comic strips in his "Still Drawing Us In" article in Newsday. I commented on Thursday at the Newsday site about how full of wrong information it is. Mark Evanier does a fact-check at his site.

I've been innocently thinking that there would be a correction posted at the Newsday site. I thought that I would post the article and the correction at the same time. It's been a couple days and I'm still waiting.

It's deplorable that an article like this, with so many facts wrong and out of date, saw print. What makes it smart is that so many of these strips are being drawn by local Long Island cartoonists. It's sloppy, unprofessional and a slap in the face.

UPDATE: Mark Evanier writes that Newsday has printed a correction -- and about all the mistakes in that correction -- and here's another thought he has on all this.

*SIGH*

1 comment:

Mark Anderson said...

Ugh... I wouldn't hold your breath for a correction... Sigh...