Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Schulz & Beethoven Exhibit

Jeannie Schulz and a PEANUTS original. A photo by Peter DaSilva for The New York Times.

From the January 13, 2009 NY Times, here's a photo essay showcasing the Schulz's Beethoven: Schroeder's Muse exhibit currently at the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, CA thru January 26th. And then it travels to San Jose State University, to go on display at the Beethoven Center there.

Related: Listening to Schroeder: ‘Peanuts’ Scholars Find Messages in Cartoon’s Scores by April Dembosky

Big hat tip to Steve Smallwood.

4 comments:

Mark Heath said...

I know Schulz drew large, but that photo makes his dailies look huge. Perhaps the artwork is slowly expanding to match his reputation.

Mark Heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larry Levine said...

Sparky & Beethoven, I can't think of a more perfect combination!!!

Brian Fies said...

I've seen the exhibit and its a neat one. I particularly enjoyed a page of Beethoven's handwritten notes for a piece of music he was composing--essentially musical sketches. I took my girls back to the exhibit just to show them a tiny silhouette cut with amazingly fine detail.

Mark, if I recall right (and I may not), the strip in the photo is a reproduction done to illustrate the exhibit, not an original, and I think it's a little larger than life-size. The fish-eye lens also adds some square footage. But Mr. Schulz did work big.