Friday, June 18, 2010

Flat Stanley Visits New Hampshire


My nephew, who lives in North Carolina mailed me a Flat Stanley. I didn't know WHAT a Flat Stanley was or that there was something called the Flat Stanley Project.

A lot of people know about it. But I had never heard of it.

Flat Stanley is a character from a children's book titled FLAT STANLEY by Jeff Brown and illustrated by the one and only Tomi Ungerer. The plot in the book is that Stanley has a mishap and is rendered flat. Stanley is fine, but is now 2 dimensional and is able to slip under doors, etc.

As for the real-life Flat Stanley Project: thankfully, the semi-reliable Wikipedia had the goods on this:

"The Flat Stanley Project was started in 1995 by Dale Hubert, a third grade schoolteacher in London, Ontario, Canada. It is meant to facilitate letter-writing by schoolchildren to each other as they document where Flat Stanley has gone with them. Dale Hubert received the Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence in 2001 for the Flat Stanley Project."
So, back to my nephew: he mails me a hand colored Flat Stanley doll, with instructions that I should take photos of him up here in New Hampshire and then mail him back. And so I did.

This is Flat Stanley's Adventure in New Hampshire.


My thanks to Holy Rosary Credit Union, Tri-City Energy Products, Hair Excitement and Jetpack Comics for their enthusiastic participation.

2 comments:

Lenny Boudreau said...

My daughter did the Flat Stanley project with her class a couple years ago. It was a lot of fun.

I took her to see Flat Stanley The Musical at the Capitol Center in Concord, NH. Great show!

Mike said...

Coincidence: This topic came up the other day with my son, the trauma nurse. "We had a Flat Stanley in the trauma bay one time," he said.

"You mean a real one?" I asked. "The cartoon kind?"

He laughed. "Yeah."

I still don't quite have a grasp on the dark humor that comes with that line of work. But apparently the kid who sent the real, two-dimensional, cartoon Flat Stanley got a really cool photo back.