Friday, May 09, 2014

Ludwig Bemelmans' Art for HOLIDAY Magazine

Back in the summer rerun doldrums in the 1990s, NBC used to have an incessant promo where they would show clips of their shows and told you that if you missed them the first time around it's "new to you!" Well, isn't that annoying? NBC did it for a while, maybe a couple of years. My feeling of annoyance became hate. I guess that's why I don't have cable TV any more.

Also: be careful of what you hate. Because it will come and bite you one day.

And so here I am, telling you that if you missed this 2006 Ludwig Bemelmans piece in the Fun All Around Illustration Blog, then, hey -- (excited voice) it's new to you!

Bemelmans is best known as the man behind the MADELINE children's books, but he was also a prolific illustrator and writer. These are some scans of his work exploring post-war Europe from book THE BEST OF TIMES AN ACCOUNT OF EUROPE REVISITED (1948). The pieces were originally produced for HOLIDAY Magazine.

So, this was all new to me and not at all annoying. And now I want this book. After all, I need something to look at since there's no cable TV here.


No comments: