Monday, January 20, 2020

FEIFFER ON NIXON by Jules Feiffer

I posted this a while ago. It's about the amazing relevance of these Richard Nixon cartoons by Jules Feiffer, and what's going on today. My friend Michael Tisserand has taken this further, writing a piece about it over at The Daily Beast. Take a look.

And here's my blog entry (first publishing it in 2017, and then rerunning it this past fall), with samples of the cartoons:




You know that old saying that there is nothing new in the world, only the history you don't know.

I picked up a copy of FEIFFER ON NIXON by Jules Feiffer at the Fryeburg Flea Market on Sunday. I flipped thru it while standing at the seller's table full of paper ephemera. It was amazing how many of Feiffer's reprinted Village Voice strips, from 1960 to 1974, resonated now. I bought the book, of course, to share. Here are a few. The paperback was published by Random House. These are copyright Mr. Feiffer.

These points that Feiffer makes, about lying, about the congress, about racism -- are sadly on point today. I originally posted this in 2017. My friend Michael Tisserand posted about this on his Twitter account last week, adding this great interview by Studs Terkel. There is a whole new Studs Terkel WFMT radio show archive online now.











No comments: