Monday, January 13, 2020

Jim Rugg " ... [I]t's like I'm looking for something. I don't find it, so I'm going to try to make it myself."



Comic book artist Jim Rugg and Cecil Castellucci talk to NPR about the release of the new hardcover edition of "The Plain Janes." The comic book series started as a graphic novel about female high school girls in 2007. One of the first popular graphic narratives about teen girls, the series was ahead of its time. Bill O'Driscoll interviews them.

JIM RUGG: I had just grown very dissatisfied with what I was seeing at the comic book store, which was mostly, you know, Punisher, Batman, 30 or 40-year-old white male protagonists. And they all just felt like the same.

O'DRISCOLL: This was around 2003.

RUGG: A lot of the stuff I make tends to be that way, where it's like I'm looking for something. I don't find it, so I'm going to try to make it myself.

 The audio and transcript are here.


No comments: