Monday, October 18, 2021

Ray Billingsley Named 2020 Reuben Award Winning Cartoonist of the Year

 

Congratulations to Curtis cartoonist and friend Ray Billingsley upon his Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

From the National Cartoonists Society:

The recipient of the cartooning profession’s highest honor, the Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year, is chosen by a secret ballot of the members of the National Cartoonists Society. The NCS is pleased to announce this year’s winner is the creator of the popular newspaper comic strip “Curtis”, American cartoonist, Ray Billingsley.
The coveted award was presented to Mr. Billingsley online Saturday evening, October 16th at the finale of NCSFEST 2021, the virtual cartooning festival hosted by the National Cartoonists Society and the NCS Foundation. In graciously accepting the award, Billingsley said “Oh my goodness, I can’t believe this is happening. I can’t believe this has happened. I’d like to thank everyone who made this moment come true, thank everyone from the deepest part of my heart. I never thought I’d see this day.”
In an emotional moment, Billingsley expressed “This has been a huge step for me. And also a monumental step for the NCS, because I’m the first black guy to win the prestigious Reuben Award, and for that I am very grateful.” adding, “I wish creators like Morrie Turner and Ted Shearer, and Brumsic Brandon Jr. were here to see this.”

 The Daily Cartoonist has more here

No comments: