Friday, April 21, 2023

New England College Will Close Manchester Campus

 


Lowell Hall in Manchester, NH. This one of the buildings that comprise the Manchester campus of the New England College, where the New Hampshire Institute of Art and Design is located. I have been teaching college comics/illustration classes on an adjunct basis since 2019.


New England College will move its Manchester, NH art school, the New Hampshire Institute of Art and Design, to its home campus in Henniker, NH effective next month. The announcement was made on social media a week ago. I found out a day later through a colleague.

The New Hampshire Institute of Art and Design was bought by New England College just before I was asked to join its Comic Arts program as adjunct faculty in 2019. 

While I have been asked back to teach for Fall 2024, which I like to do, the commute is an hour more. So ... I don't know if I'll be coming back.

Regardless, it's been a great time. In the past four years, I've created a number of courses, including their History of Comics class, as well as the History of Political Cartoons, and I have retooled the History of Illustration. 

My one great concern when I was asked to do this was, Will I like the students? I don't know what a 20 year old is like! But they are all talented and nice people. And I was able to ask some of my colleagues and friends to come along and Zoom with us, live, to talk about their work in comics, political cartoons and illustration. This included wonderful professional cartoonists, best selling YA authors/artists, Pulitzer Prize and RFK, Jr. Prize winning political cartoonists, and art directors. I am thankful for their participation and sharing of their valuable time.

1 comment:

Orang Basikal said...

#12 is actually kind of profound.