Wednesday, February 14, 2007

John Callahan Documentary

Cartoonist John Callahan is the subject of an hour long Dutch TV documentary. Click on "video" on the right hand side of this page. Yes, the page is in Dutch -- but the video is not.

And you get to see Callahan's day, Callahan talking about his life, the complaints about his edgy cartoons -- and, best of all, you get to see Callahan drawing.

There is nudity (not Callahan) and, if I remember, some swearing.

An interesting slice of his life, with him making some music and talking about his philosophy of life, what it's like to be a quadriplegic cartoonist, and -- I said it before and I'll say it again -- close ups of him drawing.

Thanks to cartoonist Lars Doornbos for finding this and letting me know about it!

3 comments:

Snowman Expert said...

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog. If it's OK I'd like to recommend it on my blog which is for freelance cartoonists, www.freelancerslament.com

Funny, I just got the rights to a John Callahan cartoon for my upcoming book and today been trying to reach Sam Gross about including him, too (but the two numbers I have for him don't work!). I'ma big fan of his and meet him once at playboy party (I'm a cartoonist). So far it's a nice group I got, Charles Addams, Robert Crumb, and bunch of New Yorker guys.

Anyway, thanks for your entertaining and informative blog.
Bob

Snowman Expert said...

Just a follow-up; fascinating film and this morning I finally found Mr. Sam Gross and enjoyed an hour long converation with him. To boot he was able to help me with my project - (I'm writing The History of the Snowman and collecting the best snowman cartons. Let me know if you have any You'd like to suggest.).
Thanks,
Bob (Eckstein)
freelancerslament.com

Erik Ykema said...

Hi there, the current location of the documentary is http://www.hollanddoc.nl/kijk-luister/documentaire/r/Raak-me-waar-ik-voelen-kan.html