Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mike Lynch Cartoon in February 2007 Harvard Business Review


The Harvard Business Review (one of those thick, glossy, prestigious business publications that biz executives buy leather magazine holders for for, showcasing them on their bookcases) published a cartoon of mine in its February 2007 issue.


And I'm in the good company of 2 of my blogger-cartoonist colleagues: Mark Anderson and Eli Stein.

This one was a difficult one. I knew what I wanted to say, but didn't know how to say it (but that never stops me).

I wanted to point out that a good lobbyist is worth more than a lawyer. A lawyer might be able to get around the law, a lobbyist can rewrite the law. At first, I drew a white businessman in a lawyer's office informing the lawyer that he was fired because the guy bought himself a lobbyist. But I thought it wasn't funny. The word "trumps" was the key to the joke. I had to make it clear that the lobbyist is better than plain ol' lawyers. So, I drew a conference room confrontation.

Anyway, just for fun, below are a couple of other lobbyist related cartoons that have not sold.




If you can't read my wonky handwriting: "Sometimes I, too, am sorry I married for love and not for lavish junkets paid for by scheming lobbyists."

No comments: