Monday, February 26, 2007

Mike Lynch Cartoon in March 2007 Spectator

The Spectator, a London-based weekly, has published one of my business cartoons in its current issue. I'm gratified, belatedly.

OK, let's shft here, and talk about WDYGYI (Where Do You Get Your Ideas?). OK? OK!

Sometimes I get ideas out of anger.

There's a saying. Is it a well known saying? It goes something like, Anger turned outward is violence; anger turned inward is depression; anger turned sideways is Hawkeye.

No, that's an old M*A*S*H episode.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. Hate.

One thing I hate is office politics.

Everyone knows about it. And it seems to be everywhere: business, academia, fast food, white dollar, blue collar, etc. There's always some worker who's (a) untouchable, even though they are (b) incompetent.

This time, in today's cartoon, our incompetent worker is a lazy soul -- but sneaky.

I should have drawn him playing Tetris or surfing LiveJournal or watching LonelyGirl or something.

I drove over 600 miles this past weekend, back and forth to New Hampshire. (More about that later.) But that's nothing compared to the 3,458 miles this cartoon went. This is a double-dip cartoon, selling first in the US, and then traveling to the UK to be snagged by the SPECTATOR.

Last night I was watching the Oscars, saw a clip from the Oscar Award winning short WEST BANK STORY. It looked good -- and it was taking a very violent, angry situation and twisting it into something funny. Anyway, I think it MAY be funny. (I haven't watched it yet.) In less than a minute after watching it win, I downloaded it from iTunes. I "own" it. Talk about immediate gratification!

Cartoons -- inky, flat, gag cartoons -- have a slower road to hoe for any kinda gratification, gang.

The above cartoon was drawn in early June 2005. It was bought in September 2005 by a US media outlet. I sent it to Spectator in July 2006. I got a note from the cartoon editor letting me that he was holding a couple, and it's on the newsstand this week.

Don't get me wrong. I'm gratified!!! Just not immediately. But that's the way it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!