Friday, August 17, 2007

New Roy Delgado Blog

Just this month, my cartoonist colleague Roy Delgado started his new blog. Roy's cartoons can be seen everywhere: Barron's, Playboy, Harvard Business Review, etc.

Except for The New Yorker magazine. He's submitted cartoons to the prized cartoon market for something like 17-18 years. Is that right Roy? I'm going by memory here. Anyway, that's a lot of cartoons! And a lot of persistence.

Roy's written a book, full of his cartoons, all about the years of 100% rejection from The New Yorker titled A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE NEW YORKER. All the cartoons in it were first submitted and rejected by the NYer, and then were bought by other publications.

By the way, Roy has a cartoon in today's Wall Street Journal, as well as a couple in the July-August Harvard Business Review. I told you that his cartoons are everywhere!

2 comments:

Roy Delgado said...

Hey Mike,
Actually, My first batch to The New Yorker was in the summer of 1952 . . off and on throughout the years I submitted . . and then pretty steady throughout the last 17 years . . Rejection, rejection, rejection, rejection, rejection, rejection . . A-a r- h - gh - h ! But look at all the fun ( ? ) I'm having ! Don Cresci gave me a good title today via an email . .

He said: " Roy Delgado is the slowest rising star. " At the rate I'm going I may have to get frozen and show up again in about 50 years when a more egalitarian regime has taken over at the big one and the decision on buying cartoons will have nothing to do with being on an enemies' list, or your age, or your political party . . but the decision will be made as per Harold Ross's hopes: " To buy cartoons from the finest art available at the time. " ( I'm paraphrasing ) But this quote was made in several books about the history of the Great Magazine.

DON CRESCI CARTOONS said...

With all the money he spent sending cartoons to the NY since '52, my buddy Roy could have bought Mankoff and the NY.
Don Cresci