Thursday, August 16, 2007

Rod McKie: Time Management & Tools of the Trade

Above: A rare cat-free photo of my messy desk, and key to said mess.

From my pal Rod McKie's Cartoons and Illustration blog comes some insight into increasing production by managing your time, along with an examination -- complete with photo of the McKie messy desk -- of the art supplies Rod uses.

I'm a great believer in creative mess. My desk is full of notes, pens, pencils, rulers, erasers, brush (to brush away eraser crumbs), scissors, business cards, sketches, etc. Mark Anderson, however, maintains a neat and tidy studio; so neat you could eat off of his studio floor. And he'll make do just that, my friend, if you do not laugh heartily at his cartoons.

6 comments:

Kyle Miller said...

I'd share a pic of my workspace, but I can't seem to find my digital camera in this mess...

Mark Anderson said...

Can't talk, eating off floor...

Mike Lynch said...

Does every cartoonist have to have the McCann's Irish Oatmeal can? I mean, is it like a rule or something?

Mike's Wife

P.S. Hey, how was I able to publish a comment as you? (Rubs hands together with evil glee, imagining mischief!)

Rod McKie said...

I was using a Marks and Spencers ice cream tub, but I am now using a metal can that once housed Jean Paul Gaultier's perfume for both men and women that my son used. It shall probably lead to me making more scented and upmarket cartoons.

Kyle Miller said...

Now that I no longer drink high-fructose corn syrup, high caffiene beverages, I've found that my official Bill Elliot soda can holder makes an excellent pen holder.

Brian Fies said...

Mine is a plastic 1-quart bucket from a Baskin-Robbins ice cream store. Photo is on my blog (momscancer.blogspot.com) thanks to you, Mark, and a couple of other cartoonists who coincidentally posted pictures of their drawing spaces recently. It's labeled #14. I steal all my best ideas from Mike.