Thursday, December 13, 2007

Know Your Cow


The week of June 11, 2007, I had the above cartoon in The Chronicle Review. I blogged about it here, and just found out that art -- or, rather, a cartoon -- imitated life. Here's a letter to the editor from the September 7, 2007 Chronicle Review:

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Know Your Cow

Mike Lynch thought he was inventing something funny when he drew a cartoon showing a cow's picture on the side of a milk carton, with the caption "Artisanal Milk" (Letters to the Editor, The Chronicle Review, June 15). But 15 years ago, taking up a restaurant reviewer's recommendation, a colleague and I dined at a restaurant in Edinburgh in which each cheese on the cheese cart came with a photograph, discussed with us by the waiter, of the cow from which the cheese's milk had come.

Who knew? And would the photo of a cud chewing heifer really be helpful in choosing the suitable cheese? Those crazy Scotsman!

2 comments:

Mark Anderson said...

Man, that cartoon is SO good and SO out of left field it just makes me want to... want to... I know! No more baking photos for you Mr. Funny Pants!

Seriously though, I've never had a read write in to comment on one of my cartoons. Congrats!

Mike Lynch said...

I've had readers write to editors since I was in high school. Most of people who took time to write complained about a cartoon of mine. I should blog about that one day.

This is one of the rare times when someone added a real interesting -- and real life -- twist on a gag!