Monday, January 24, 2011

The Value of Sketching


Above: a study in contrasts. A kid enjoying a ride on sullen Dad's shoulders at the mall. This was draw in in about six seconds.

I was at the mall, bored outta my mind. And then I recalled that I could draw the shoppers passing by for a while. Ahh! Now, that's entertainment.



When sketching in public, my one rule is DON'T. I mean, really, the last thing you want to do is get caught drawing people you don't know. Especially when they're bigger than you.

Despite wanting to be anonymous, the rewards of sketching is seeing how people dress and behave. These can become the basis of future cartoons and drawings.




I liked the prideful saunter that the above big dude had, when walking in the mall, with his proud peacock walk, smoky eyeglasses and hint-of-whiteboy-jerrycurl hairdo.

The female multi-tasker balanced herself like a prima ballerina between her many shopping bags and managing her cell phone.


The big Ugg boots look.

What every other guy looks like: shaved head, goatee, earrings.


Pimply face Archie-looking kid munching on greasy fries.

Fat guy contemplates shoving entire cheeseburger into piehole.

4 comments:

Faff said...

Excellent point Mike. Sketching from life should never be undervalued. I've been in the habit of carrying a small Moleskine ripoff with me all the time for the last couple of years and it's been indispensible. Quick sketches of people, cars, trees, my sons toys. Any spare minute can be filled with sketching. Not only that but it's great to have somewhere you can scribble down ideas when they come to you. I can't keep track of the number of ideas I've lost because I couldn't reember them when I finally got an opportunity to note them down.

Bren Romans said...

Brilliant sketches Mike. I sketch when I travel, but I try to hide what I'm doing so nobody comes after me. I have a lot of drawings of people's backs :-)

Jeff P said...

Nice stuff! Love the Ugg boots and goatee guy.

Dan Reynolds said...

I like the loosenss feel.