Thursday, June 21, 2012

Video: Syrian Cartoonist Ali Farzat: "They broke my hands to stop me drawing Assad"

Ali Farzat was violently assaulted, his hands broken, by Bashar al-Assad's militia in August 2011.

Almost a year later, here is a moving video of a recovered Mr. Farzat speaking and drawing via The Guardian:

   
   
   
   
   


“The cartoonist doesn’t only present events, but also gives opinions on them. it is about me, how I think and how I should present my idea in the drawing. I use satire to draw dictators who use oppressive methods. I try to marginalize them and make them less important to people. This gives people hope that these dictators are empty. And gives people the courage to continue to demonstrate and be critical. This is why drawing, for me, carries human and moral causes to encourage the people to transcend their pain.”

No comments: