Friday, May 25, 2018

Brian Fies: "This is probably the most clear-eyed piece I've read about what it's like to have a book published."

My friend, the award-winning graphic novelist Brian Fies shared an article by writer Tom McAllister about what it's like to have a book published. Here's his introduction, nicked (with permission) from his Facebook page. Here's Brian:


This is probably the most clear-eyed piece I've read about what it's like to have a book published. Not that you're ungrateful, but it IS anticlimactic and a bit of a shock to realize how little the universe cares.

I don't share writer Tom McAllister's disappointment in the support he gets from family and friends. I've never really counted on those people buying my books. One sale to Cousin Waldo isn't going to make or break me. I make graphic novels; most people don't read comics, and folks are busy with their own lives. And, as McAllister says, I'm not innocent either. I have writer friends whose books I haven't bought or read. I still sincerely wish them great success.

My editor at Abrams, Editor Charlie, once asked me to meet with a young author whose first book was about to come out and give him the straight dope on what to expect. I said pretty much what McAllister did in this article: Having a book published is nice, but it won't change your life and nobody's going to back a money truck up to your front door. That young author was Jeff Kinney, whose "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series just printed its 200 millionth copy.

Jeff still reminds me of that, and we laugh and laugh. I try not to give advice anymore.

Who Will Buy Your Book? by Tom McAllister

No comments: