Wednesday, December 12, 2018

BEN AND PAL by Cynthia Dee Buchanan


Here's BEN AND PAL, which is Sullivan Storybook 2B by Cynthia Dee Buchanan. It's copyright 1966 by McGraw Hill.



Ben is the kid on the cover and Pal is his dog. They have three adventures in this "Sullivan Associates Reader." What caught my eye was "The Man in Red." There is a previous story in which we see Ben draw with a crowquill dip pen. A kid drawing using a bottle of ink is not something I am used to seeing in ANY kids book and it sure reminded me of trying to master a dip pen when I was in junior high. Anyway, so the set up here is that the kid drew a man in red ink, along with drawing a chicken and then took a nap. This is the story of what happens next.

There is no artist credit here, and I suspect that Ms. Buchanan was not the artist. I figure it was given to the McGraw Hill art department. Whoever drew this, they sure knew how to draw in adventure comic strip style/superhero comic book style. I have no guess as to who it is.




































1 comment:

Smurfswacker said...

Nice book. Sullivan & Co. certainly had high expectations for it...the edition slugs on the title page cover a potential ten printings over the next ten years!