Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Jim Berry 1932-2015


(Photo of Jim Berry via Christopher Wheeler.)

Jim Berry, creator of the long-running syndicated panel Berry's World, died Friday. He was 83 years old. 





Berry's World, which was syndicated by the Newspaper Enterprise Association, ran from 1963 to 2003, peaking at 1000 papers. He received the National Cartoonists Society Newspaper Panel Division Award for 1965, 1966, and 1972. He also received other awards from the NCS, the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists and the National Headliners Club. He was also president of the AAEC.


I regret never running into Jim Berry, whose panel was in my local paper, The Plain Dealer, when I was a kid. I would look at his ease of line and solid writing. He had a bold, no-nonsense style with a great sense of black-spotting and composition. I am sorry I never had the chance to tell him.


Above from Dave Karlen's Original Art site.


Links: Washington Post: Michael Cavna remembers Jim Berry

No comments: