Monday, July 23, 2018

New Graphic Memoir: A FIRE STORY by Brian Fies



My friend, the graphic novelist Brian Fies, has announced a new book for 2019. Titled FIRE STORY, and to be published by Abrams in March 2019, it's a memoir of the California wildfire that engulfed and destroyed his entire neighborhood. He made an 18 page comic about it. It was later animated and aired on KQED, for which it won an Emmy Award.

Today's announcement from Brian's Facebook page:


In my little flurry of posts from Comic-Con, I completely buried the lede: the main point of my Spotlight Panel on Friday was to officially announce that "A Fire Story" will be a full-length, full-color graphic novel published by Abrams ComicArts in March 2019! I haven't been shy about hinting I was up to something but couldn't really say until now.

I'm working again with my friend and editor Charles Kochman and some other Abrams people including marketer Anne Jaconette, publicist Maya Bradford, and designer Pam Notarantonio, who did the heavy lifting on that striking cover. Abrams makes beautiful books, and I'm excited for what they have planned for mine.

Publishing lead times being what they are, I'm actually in the throes of deadline woes right now, with just a few weeks to wrap it up. I'm not the one who'll decide if the book will be a hit or a flop, but I can guarantee it'll be the best book I know how to make.

EDIT: The San Diego Comic Con awarded an Inkpot Award “for achievement in comic arts” to Brian this weekend. Congratulations, my friend! 

No comments: