Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Observer: Milton Glaser on Making New Work at 89 and Why ‘Retirement Is a Trap’


Milton Glaser in his studio in New York City. Neville Elder/Corbis via Getty Images


Milton Glaser was interviewed by The Observer last month. The 89-year-old artist is still busy. Last week, when I was just leaving the Society of Illustrators, a woman came in and asked if Milton Glaser had arrived for lunch yet. They serve lunch on the third floor. He hadn't and she looked relieved to have arrived before the famed illustrator/designer. So, I was, as they says, "thisclose" to meeting him and telling him how much I love his work. Maybe I should have stayed for lunch!

Here's a great quote from the article:

"You feel differently towards the world when you make things. I’m still working every day. I know that the day I can’t walk up the stairs will be the day I have to put my pencil down. But if I woke up in the morning and didn’t have a place to go, I’d go nuts. It’s a great reason to keep on living. Retirement is a trap. What you want to [make] is work that has some usefulness to others. It’s been a busy life."

No comments: