Monday, March 23, 2020

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Mort Drucker

Yesterday was Mort Drucker's 91st birthday. We are so lucky to have him. He is a legend who transformed the art of caricature. Best known for his Mad Magazine parodies (He contributed for fifty years.), Mort started out drawing for comic books and doing gag cartoons.

Mort was one of the first pro cartoonists I ever met -- and such a nice guy. He asked a lot of questions about me and then stared back. He wanted to hear my answers. He really cares about the medium, and the people who want to draw for a living.

I have now known Mort for over twenty years. He is one of the kindest people, and still will ask me more questions about myself than I can ask about him. He is a true lover of drawing, and admires many cartoonists. Here's a small sample of some of his art through the decades.









No comments: