Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Author David McCullough 1933 - 2022

 

Not my photo. A 2012 Associated Press photo of author David McCullough from the Academy of Achievement

 

David McCullough died yesterday at the age of 89.

Very sad news. Like so many, I read a number of his books.

I met him briefly on the Brooklyn Bridge. It was the late 1990s or so. He was with a small group of people and he caught my eye. Is that David McCullough? I was wondering. He must have seen me looking at him. He walked up to me and, smiling, asked if I would take a photo with the group. He handed me a camera and I took a picture of him and his entourage. He thanked me as I handed the camera back and I said something like, “Oh, sure” and smiled back. I regret I didn’t whack up the nerve to tell him I was a fan.

No comments: