Monday, April 23, 2012

Darwyn Cooke: Respect for Alan Moore



Above: Darwyn Cooke's art for THE MINUTEMEN, a BEFORE WATCHMEN project, nicked from Comics Alliance.

Via Rolling Stone:

I can’t give the Siegel and Shusters what they deserve, and I certainly can’t give Alan Moore what he deserves, or what he thinks he should get out of this. That's all beyond my power. But what I can do is have respect for what he’s done, and try to do my best to live up to that.

I think he's trying to say that although he acknowledges the rights issues, there isn't anything he can do about it so he might as well go ahead and publicize his work for BEFORE WATCHMEN. I also think he is trying to say that in the nicest way possible.

4 comments:

Jeff P said...

I haven't read much about this, but have seen artists discussing it on Facebook. I think Moore is offered money when DC does something w/ the Watchmen, but he refuses it. That's his choice, but doesn't mean he can bitch if others are working with his characters. But, is HE bitching, or is it a bunch of other artists/creators making it their business?

Mike Lynch said...

DC wants Moore to sign an agreement that he (Moore) will not speak about any new contractual deal between them. I have read that Moore wants to, naturally, retain his freedom of speech regarding WATCHMEN and DC.

I find it very sad, and I am sympathetic toward Moore. Cooke is right that this has echoes of Siegel & Shuster, and Kirby; another creator that a comic company will not compensate -- at least not in terms that Moore wishes.

Jeff P said...

I guess I'll need to read up more. If Cooke feels that way, how does he justify participating?

Mike Lynch said...

When Cooke says,

"I certainly can’t give Alan Moore what he deserves, or what he thinks he should get out of this. That's all beyond my power."

I read it as Cooke excusing himself from any liability; saying he's not responsible -- and he just wants to do something good with the project.

This is just my 2 cents.