Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mike Lynch Cartoon in the Wall Street Journal

I was running up until last winter. I really was. Thanks to my wife (who was also running with me), I was getting better and better. I remember running through ice and snow in Red Hook, in the dark (any time after 4pm this time of year it's dark). It was crazy!

And then I fell out of the habit. Bad, bad Mike.

So that's the background behind this little cartoon. This is one of those "wrong cartoons," a cartoon that's sent out in a batch that has a different look and a different kinda comment on life than a business publication may be looking at. I always include a "wrong cartoon" or 2. Sometimes, like this time, they sell.

So, yeah, this one sold, for some reason, to the Wall Street Journal. And I say "for some reason" because the WSJ rarely buys a lifestyle cartoon. Usually it's guy at desk or woman addressing board meeting or something.

The concept behind a "wrong cartoon" is this: I figure that the editors must get tired of "person at desk" and "board meeting" cartoons.

Like David Sipress, you can see I love to draw fire plugs. (We had a conversation a while back. Every chance he gets, he'll draw a hydrant. Me too.)

I also never know when the cartoon will run. It could be in the WSJ today -- or a month from now. I never know. I did ask the editor about this, who told me he never knew either!

So, if you see this, please let us know. Thanks.

1 comment:

Mark Anderson said...

Congrats on the sale! Hydrants?!