Thursday, October 17, 2013

New Bill Watterson Interview



CALVIN AND HOBBES creator Bill Watterson is interviewed by Mental Floss writer Jack Rossen. Go look!

Here's a snippet:

Your fight over protecting Calvin and Hobbes from licensing deals, and your battle to increase the real estate for your Sunday page comic, were notable—partially because they indicated your incredible autonomy over your work. Had you "lost" those battles, it appears you would have ended the strip. It reminds me of Howard Roark and his desire to blow up his building rather than see it molested by other hands. Was there a critical moment in your career that instilled such unwavering creative integrity? 

Just to be clear, I did not have incredible autonomy until afterward. I had signed most of my rights away in order to get syndicated, so I had no control over what happened to my own work, and I had no legal position to argue anything. I could not take the strip with me if I quit, or even prevent the syndicate from replacing me, so I was truly scared I was going to lose everything I cared about either way. I made a lot of impassioned arguments for why a work of art should reflect the ideas and beliefs of its creator, but the simple fact was that my contract made that issue irrelevant. It was a grim, sad time. Desperation makes a person do crazy things. 

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/53216/mental-floss-exclusive-our-interview-bill-watterson#ixzz2i0MpFkYp --brought to you by mental_floss! 

No comments: