Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sketchbook: Traditional Irish Music Session


Sketched in between pints of Smithwicks' at The Shaskeen in Manchester, NH. This was a traditional Irish music session on Saturday afternoon, December 11, 2010. I accompanied my wife (not pictured), who was one of the half-dozen musicians who there that day. She plays the fiddle and flute. I am not a musician myself.







I try to be unobtrusive. But, as I was sketching, the woman next to me noticed. She leaned way over to look. She made a noise -- something like "Oh" or "Oooh." When the musicians get going, it can be hard to hear. Anyway, she looked at me and smiled and said, "I thought you were doing your school work." (!?!?!?!!?!) I suppose I should be flattered since the last time I was in school was in the 1980s.

7 comments:

Rina said...

... and WHY won't you post more of your sketches...?these are wonderful!

Mike Lynch said...

I am honored by your kind words, Rina! Thank you, thank you.

Linette Moore said...

Nice work Mike! I'd like to see more of your sketches too.

Benita said...

I just love your sketches, Mike.

Mark Anderson said...

WOO! WOOOOOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(I was gonna say I loved your sketches, but it had already been done.)

Mike Lynch said...

Turning red here. Thanks for your kind words, guys.

Pete Hale said...

I was looking for some line art related to Irish music and happened upon this set ... from a session I used to go to in NH! (Guitarist looks like it could be me, honestly, but I wasn't wearing glasses in 2010.

More striking, it's wonderful to see your sketch of Roger Burridge, the great fiddler who passed in 2020. Thanks for posting these.