Friday, October 02, 2009

Letters of Note: "I Sure Miss Mr. Hardy"

Stan Laurel at his typewriter, late 1950s/early 60s.

The amazing Letters of Note blog is always worth a visit. Scanning in "fascinating letters, postcards, telegrams, faxes, and memos" from the vaults of history, it showcases many actual images of correspondence. Some are funny, others are chilling; most all are fascinating. A few examples:




And here is one written by Stan Laurel to a fan. It was 1958 and Mr. Laurel had retired after the death of Oliver Hardy. He decided that he would try to personally answer all of his fan mail.

The transcript is as follows:

25406,Malibu Road.
MALIBU.CALIF.
May 10th.'58.

Dear Charles:-

Thanks your letter,5th.inst.

Pleased to know the old L&H films are giving you so much pleasure & enjoyment. Not much to tell you about myself Charles, except that due to a Stroke about 3 years ago I am not able to work anymore so I was forced to retire. Anyway I am getting along Ok, am getting around pretty good & manage to keep busy, writing letters, watching TV. etc. Now that Mr Hardy passed on I would'nt want to work anyway - I sure miss him after the many years of Happy association.

Glad to know you recd. the little picture - am sending one enclosed for your friend Irwin Orenstein, please give it to him with my best wishes.

Bye Charles.

Good luck & God Bless.

Sincerely:-

(Signed)

Stan Laurel.



Do visit Letters from Stan, another site full of Stan Laurel's correspondence.

No comments: