Monday, August 20, 2012

Mark Anderson: The Modern Freelance Cartoonist


Above: A custom cartoon by Mark Anderson.

Today, my pal Mark Anderson writes about how to make it as a cartoonist in today's economy. He has a lot of good advice on markets for cartoons. The general rule here is to diversify. I agree: there are a lot of potential cartoon markets.

Sure, you may get a potential client who wants a cartoon and when you bring up the topic of being paid for your work, you might get this reply like I did 2 weeks ago (I smudged out the name, even though it's easy enough to find this message in my Twitter feed backlog):



But don't let that get you down. You just can't.

Like Mark says, keep moving. There are people who love and value cartoons out there.

1 comment:

Dan Reynolds said...

"I found someone else for free".

That tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about THAT potential client.

They'll get exactly what they paid for....nothing.

I've grown tired over the years of people like this who want work for free...most times they just steal (yes, I said STEAL) your work because they're not only cheap, they're cheap thieves who have no conscious and no concept of the following quote "Integrity is what you do when no one is watching".