Monday, September 15, 2008

Seeking Virgil "VIP" Partch Cartoon

Sending out the word about a Virgil "VIP" Partch cartoon that a writer wants to locate. From the email I received from a writer assisting the author:

"I am a writer in Berkeley, CA, helping someone work on a book on anger. He wants to use a Partch cartoon in the book, but has been unable to locate it. The caption is 'I sure got that witch doctor told,, (or 'Man, I sure got that witch doctor told') and shows a miniaturized man in a pith helmet standing on a bar in a tropical locale.

"Do you have any idea where I might find out where this was published and how to get publication rights?

"I am in touch with the UC Irvine library to whom Partch left 3,700 original cartoons but so far they don't seem very knowledgeable.

She's contacted a couple of other cartoonists as well, with no luck so far.

If anyone knows the cartoon (I don't have a copy of it), please leave a comment or email me personally. Once we can find a published version, then the author may determine who owns the rights.

5 comments:

Mark Anderson said...

Lemme look through my VIP and I'll see if I can find it...

Rod McKie said...

Is it, for sure, a VIP cartoon?

Jim Brenneman said...

I've got a file full of cartoons from old mags I'll look through and see what I come up with.

Robert Gidley said...

Sounds like a Chas. Addams cartoon to me, as I seem to recall seeing something similar...

Mike Lynch said...

My thanks in advance to Mark & Jim. I am now wondering if Rod and Robert may be correct that this might not be a VIP gag cartoon. As soon as I read what Robert wrote, I flashed on an Addams cartoon in the dark recesses of my mind. Hmm.