Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wordless Cartoons by Mike Lynch

Here's a small selection of wordless cartoons that I've drawn. Since I am what's called a "single panel gag cartoonist," the final product -- the gag cartoon -- has to do its work on a reader within 2 or 3 seconds. If you don't "get it" in less than 5 seconds, I haven't succeeded.



Above: this was drawn when there was a movement to allow cell phones on planes. The only solid black things here are the cell phones themselves, all in a rough left to right row, and then we have our last black shape. This one was held by a couple markets because it was funny, but joking about weapons in planes is a no no.



Above: a silent 3 panels. That's a tic tac toe game in the last drawing.



Wordless cartoons are the most difficult. They have to focus on universally understood behavior. Above: unless you know about that plane with the shark teeth on it from WWII, then the reference is lost.

Above: I remember drawing this very fast to get it out in time.



Above: a snowblower cartoon. When I bought my first snowblower last year, I started drawing snowblower cartoons. Click to supersize this one.


Above: sweet little old lady sweater v. hip guy tattoo.


Oh hai! NYC trashed all of its "DON'T WALK" signs for the white hand/red hand universal signs a couple of years ago.



I like drawing dogs with those simpy smiles on their faces. My mother always said, about our dear, sweet, beloved family dog Max, He may be dumb, but he's sneaky!
Above: a subverted juxtaposition cartoon. This is more of a smile than a chuckle.


Above: an old joke. If I was to put a word here, I would have the bird crying, "Mama!"

2 comments:

Mark Anderson said...

LOVE that tic-tac-toe one! And that guy running over the horizon to wind the other guy up... Wow!

ECC Cartoonbooks Club said...

The first cartoon (many cell-phones, and a man with a gun wanting to suicide) should work in a bus, in a waiting room too... but then there's another clue.

Good work!
Jan