Monday, May 07, 2007

Tony Cochran Video

The Our Ohio TV series recently interviewed Tony Cochran about his life. The video is here.

Tony really started out to be an illustrator. Tony was one of the first cartoonists I ever met at an National Cartoonists Society get together. He was very kind and thoughtful about the business. His strip AGNES had only been out for a year or so, and the local NY Daily News had picked it up. I liked his work, and he drew a little Agnes on the back of his business card for me to take home to my wife.

A lot of what AGNES is about, he says, is perseverance. She's not rich or anything, but she tries hard and she gets knocked down and she gets back up and tries again. Not only a good philosophy for a person in general, but also for a cartoonist specifically.

1 comment:

Brian Fies said...

Nice post and video. I think "Agnes" is one of the most underappreciated great strips being done today. It's consistently funny, very smart and sharp. I don't know why it's not in 2000 papers.

Wow. I know a guy who knows Tony Cochran.