Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mike Lynch Cartoon in December 23, 2008 Foster's Daily Democrat


The local paper, Foster's Daily Democrat, prints a special Christmas story that I drew for them. Aaron Sanborn's article "No chimney, no problem: Milton man's faith fulfilled by visit from Santa" gives you the background. Here's a snippet from Aaron's piece:

"How will Santa get into the house?

"'From very early on you're told how it works and certainly by the time you're 21⁄2 or 3, you can be quizzed up and down, where does he live? How does he travel? How does he get in? So we all knew all the answers to those questions,' he said. 'But this was the first time I ever thought of how he's going to get through the heater grates.'"
Below is a clickable version of the cartoon that you can blow up nice and big:

My thanks to Aaron and photographer John Huff who came up to Milton to interview me and take my photo.

7 comments:

Marek Bennett said...

Great! Nice shrug-off of the moral in the last panel.

My folks posited that the finger alongside the nose was part of a magical spell that teleported SC into the house... I always thought that explanation introduced a rather disquietingly sorcerous aspect to the old Saint.

Sandra said...

Awesome, Mike! Loved it!

Brian Fies said...

Terrific story, Mike. I love the look of little you seeing the missing milk and cookies. Although in that last panel, I don't know why you're continuing to unwrap presents after you already opened your USS Enterprise, surely the greatest gift a boy your (our) age could ever hope to receive.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, Mike! Such drama.

Royston Robertson said...

The "What?" in the last panel is just great. Merry Christmas, Mike.

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks for the kind words. Truth be told, I drew the USS Enterprise for Brian, a kindred Trekker if ever there was one!

Paul Giambarba said...

Brilliant! Merry Christmas, Mike