Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cartoonist Jerry King Interview


Scott Nickel interview gag cartoonist Jerry King at his (Scott's) A Nickel's Worth blog.

Excerpt:

Scott Nickel: You’ve done cartoons for magazines, websites, greeting cards, books. How did you get into the gag cartoon field?

Jerry King: Once my doodling got good enough, I just started submitting. I feel cartooning is 90% marketing, 10% creating. Creating a panel cartoon is easy; finding someone to buy it is the hard part.

Hat tip to Journalista!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerry King said: Once my doodling got good enough, I just started submitting. I feel cartooning is 90% marketing, 10% creating. Creating a panel cartoon is easy; finding someone to buy it is the hard part.

I spend about 95% creating and 5% (if that) marketing. I usually do next to nothing to market myself. However, once you get "out there" in the product world, your work does the marketing for you - at least how I do it. Having said that, I'm sure Jerry could do a MUCH better job marketing than I can. That's my weak spot. I love the sport of the creative aspect of cartooning so much, I don't dedicate myself to the business end of the job as I should.
Sometimes I think if someone were to take the wheel of my huge archive of work, if they could market them, as well as Jerry does, it'd be a happy day.
Dan Reynolds